The Society meets on the first Thursday of each month (September – April) *(Except for the January meeting which, due to holidays, might be arranged for the second Thursday) at 8.00pm in the Meeting Place, Poyntzpass Community Centre, Church Street, Poyntzpass. New Members very welcome.
The Society welcomes correspondence and would be particularly glad to hear from anyone with old photographs or other documents relating to our area in the past.
During the summer the society organises monthly outings to places of interest and stages exhibitions from time to time.
Our Outings for the summer of 2019:
- Saturday APRIL 27th 2019 – Dawn Chorus walk, with Joe Devlin (5:30am at tow-path entry, Railway Street, Poyntzpass)
- Thursday MAY 2nd 2019 – A visit to St. Mary’s Church and Graveyard, Drumbanagher (7pm by car)
- Saturday JUNE 15th 2019 – The Seamus Heaney HomePlace, Bellaghy (8:45am by coach)
- Thursday JULY 4th 2019 – Picnic (bring your own) at The Boat House, Acton Lake (7pm at Lisnabrague Lodge)
- Thursday AUGUST 15th 2019 – Clare Castle Ruins and Clare Glen (6:30pm by car, meet in the Square, Poyntzpass)
Our Talks Programme for 2019-2020:
- SEPTEMBER 5th 2019 – The Sara & Minnnie Savage Memorial Talk – The Savage Family of Laurelhill, by James Magowan
- OCTOBER 3rd 2019 – George Harrison White (Stationmaster and Musician) by Barbara Best
- NOVEMBER 7th 2019 – St. Bartholomew’s Parish Church, Donaghmore by Ricky McGaffin
- DECEMBER 5th 2019 – A.G.M, local entertainment and Christmas supper
- JANUARY 9th 2020 – The Mourne Wall (it’s construction and history) by Ernie Wilson
- FEBRUARY 6th 2020 – Bicentenary of the Newry Hunt by Edwin Bryson
- MARCH 5th 2020 – Get the steam up! (The life of a railway fireman) by Nigel Porter
- APRIL 2nd 2020 – My Father… (The life and times of a village milkman) by Felix Rafferty
New members and occasional visitors are always very welcome.
The Society has always prided itself on being reasonably self-sufficient in the provision of:
- Subjects for monthly talks September – April
- Persons to talk on such topics
- Ideas for summer outings- one full-day outing and three evening outings per summer.
Each year the committee has a challenge of coming up with fresh ideas for all the foregoing. Accordingly we are asking for your help by responding to all or any of the following points and returning your answers at your leisure to a member of the committee.
- Name or describe any topic or subject you would like to suggest for a talk.
Would you be willing to give a talk yourself on any such topic?
- Name (in confidence) any other person who you think would be willing and able to give a talk to the Society; and also if you can, a topic to which they would be suited.
Name or describe any place which you would suggest as suitable for an outing, whether evening or full-day.
- Make any other suggestion you wish for the improved running of the Society.
- Finally, would you like to become more actively involved in our History Society? If so, please specify subject(s), if any, of particular interest.
Please either send us a Facebook message with your ideas or Contact Us here.