The Society meets on the first Thursday of each month (September – April) *(Except for the January meeting which, due to holidays, might be arranged for the second Thursday) at 8.00pm in the Meeting Place, Poyntzpass Community Centre, Church Street, Poyntzpass. New Members very welcome.
The Society welcomes correspondence and would be particularly glad to hear from anyone with old photographs or other documents relating to our area in the past.
During the summer the society organises monthly outings to places of interest and stages exhibitions from time to time.
Our Outings for 2016-17:
- Saturday APRIL 23rd 2016 – Dawn Chorus walk, with Joe Devlin. (5.30am at Moody’s locks.)
- Thursday MAY 5th 2016 – Tour of Greenore, with George Beatty. (6.00pm by coach)
- Saturday JUNE 18th 2016 – Day Outing to the Ulster American Folk Park, Omagh. (9.00am by coach)
- Thursday JULY 7th 2016 – Picnic in Dromantine. (Bring a picnic; meet at the front of Dromantine at 7.00pm)
- Thursday AUGUST 4th 2016 – Guided tour of Glenavy Village. (6.00 pm by coach)
Our Talks Programme for 2016-2017:
- SEPTEMBER 1st 2016 – The Misses Savage Memorial Talk – Greenore Boating Tragedy 1916 November 2016 is the 100th Anniversary by George Beatty
- OCTOBER 6th 2016 – The Village Pump (Communal water supply) by Brian McElherron
- NOVEMBER 3rd 2016 – 1916 – 100 years ago. (Significant anniversaries in Ireland and Europe) by Helena Gamble and John Campbell
- DECEMBER 1st 2016 – Annual General Meeting and local entertainment
- JANUARY 5th 2017 – Taylorstown Races (Memories of the point-to-point races) by Edwin Bryson
- FEBRUARY 2nd 2017 – Extracts from Lady Muriel Close’s Diary (Moving into Drumbanagher House in 1903) by Gillian Close
- MARCH 2nd 2017 – The Rev. John Hall (1829-1898), The Ballygorman man who became known as “The Presbyterian Bishop of New York” by Rachel Magowan
- APRIL 6th 2017 – Island House and Faulkner B. Small (A Fourtowns farmhouse through two centuries) by Roy Copeland
New members and occasional visitors are always very welcome.
The Society has always prided itself on being reasonably self-sufficient in the provision of:
- Subjects for monthly talks September – April
- Persons to talk on such topics
- Ideas for summer outings- one full-day outing and three evening outings per summer.
Each year the committee has a challenge of coming up with fresh ideas for all the foregoing. Accordingly we are asking for your help by responding to all or any of the following points and returning your answers at your leisure to a member of the committee.
- Name or describe any topic or subject you would like to suggest for a talk.
Would you be willing to give a talk yourself on any such topic?
- Name (in confidence) any other person who you think would be willing and able to give a talk to the Society; and also if you can, a topic to which they would be suited.
Name or describe any place which you would suggest as suitable for an outing, whether evening or full-day.
- Make any other suggestion you wish for the improved running of the Society.
- Finally, would you like to become more actively involved in our History Society? If so, please specify subject(s), if any, of particular interest.
Please either send us a Facebook message with your ideas or Contact Us here.